WMS Instrumental Music Expectations, and Class
Rules and Procedures, and Rehearsal Procedures
- Always show respect for each member,
including the director or other adult leaders.
- Always raise your hand to ask for permission to
talk. You miss out on what is being taught and so do the people around you
if you are talking during class and\or rehearsal.
- Gum, food, and\or drinks are not permitted in the
- Do NOT bring your binder to your seat. Leave
it either in your locker or on the table outside the music room. Doing work
for another class is never permitted in the music room during music
- Do NOT play your instrument without permission
during class. It is a distraction for you and those around you.
- Be in your seat with instrument & materials no more
than 5 minutes after the bell rings.
- Make sure you ALWAYS have your materials for
rehearsal and/or class. This includes your instrument, music, technique
book, journal (if required for your class) folder, pencil, reeds, valve oil,
stick bag with all required sticks inside.
- Always check the board for important information
- Participate fully in class. If you cannot participate
because of illness, you must bring a note from home and be prepared to do an
- Do take care of the music room. Help to keep it clean
- Do NOT touch instruments or materials that do
not belong to you.
- You must practice at home to make consistent
progress. The band or orchestra is only as strong as its weakest link.
When one person does not practice, it hurts the entire group’s progress.
Don’t let others down…always do your part to play your best!
- All band and orchestra students are required to
perform at ALL concerts, assemblies, and MCPS adjudication festivals.
- Always return to your assigned
seat to wait for the bell after you have put your instrument away after
class. Lining up at the door is not permitted.
- You are expected to take your instrument home every
day. You may leave your instrument in the instrument room overnight
only if you have a second instrument.
- You will not be permitted to go to your locker
for forgotten items.
- Always put your instrument away properly with
the case securely latched in the instrument room. No instruments are to be
left on the floor in the music room after class.
- No bathroom passes are allowed after rehearsal
has begun. Don’t even ask!
- Cell Phones, calculators, or other similar devices
are strictly forbidden in the music class room and will be immediately
- The consequences for not following these
rehearsal and class procedures will be warning and/or loss of points from
your daily grade. Any subsequent problems will result in detention and a
call home. These guidelines are designed to help you have the best possible
learning experience in band or orchestra.
- Please remember that YOU are an important part
of our program and if we work together, we can achieve amazing results!